Wild Alaska Cod In Miso Broth with Udon Noodles
Wild Alaska Cod in Miso Broth with Udon Noodles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
- 1 package (8 oz.) udon noodles
- 1 red chilli pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh stir-fry vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 Alaska cod fillets (4 to 6. oz each), fresh or thawed
- Sweet chili sauce, if desired
Into a wok or large saucepan, add the miso, water and teriyaki or soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chili, onions, mushrooms and stir-fry vegetables and cook additional 5 minutes.
While vegetables are cooking, prepare the cod. Melt the butter and sesame oil in a pan. Add the cod fillets, searing them over medium-high heat. Turn fillets over. Reduce heat to medium and cook additional 5 to 6 minutes, until opaque throughout.
Ladle the noodle mixture into two wide bowls, then top with a cod fillet. Serve with sweet chili sauce, if desired.
Cook’s tips: Make this dish another time with Alaska salmon fillets. Choose an interesting mix of stir-fry vegetables, with bok choi, pea shoots and micro greens/sprouts.