PREP TIME: 15 Min
COOK TIME: 15 Min
SERVINGS: 4 (2 tacos each)
INGREDIENTS Buy Now
- 1-1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Habanero chiles, diced (with seeds and spines removed)
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon creme fraiche or sour cream
- 6 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
- 16 Alaska Weathervane Scallops
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 8 Masa Harina or store-bought corn tortillas
- Red leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Additional crème fraiche and chopped cilantro, for garnish
Slaw: In a food processor, purée cashews, onion, garlic and habaneros to a paste. Blend in peanut oil, rice wine vinegar, water, cilantro, salt, pepper and creme fraiche. In a large bowl, mix cashew cream with Napa cabbage; stir to coat.
Scallops: Coat Alaska Scallops with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Grill or sauté scallops in olive oil over medium-high heat, cooking about 3-1/2 minutes per side. Cook just until scallops are opaque throughout.
Heat corn tortillas in a dry cast iron pan to desired doneness.
To assemble tacos: Place a leaf of red lettuce on each tortilla. Top with two scallops and cover generously with slaw. Top each taco with an avocado slice and a dollop of crème fraiche. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Cook’s Tip: If desired, cashews can be chopped and sprinkled over tacos for added crunch.
ALASKA SCALLOP AND CASHEW SLAW TACOS PRINT PDF
Recipe by Bill Graney of Simi Valley, California